AGREEING AND DISAGREEING IN SENTENCES

AGREEING AND DISAGREEING IN SENTENCES

When we want to show agreement or disagreement with someone’s statement, we use certain expressions to share our opinion politely and naturally. This  lesson explains different ways to agree or disagree, with examples and short exercises to help you practice.

 


 AGREEING WITH STATEMENTS

When you agree with someone, you are saying that you have the same opinion or the same experience.

We often use these structures:

-So + auxiliary/modal verb + subject

-Neither / Nor + auxiliary/modal verb + subject

-Subject + auxiliary/modal verb + not + either

 

 A. Agreeing with Positive Statements

We use “so” to agree with a positive statement. It means “also” or “too.”

 Examples:

  1. “I’m hungry.” → “So am I.” (= I am also hungry.)
  2. “I can swim.” → “So can I.” (= I can also swim.)
  3. “I’ve read that book.” → “So have I.” (= I have also read that book.)
  4. “I got a letter today.” → “So did I.” (= I also got a letter today.)
  5. “I hate avocados.” → “So do I.” (= I also hate avocados.)

 

Note: The auxiliary or modal verb must match the first sentence (am, have, did, can, etc.).

B. Agreeing with Negative Statements

We use “neither” or “nor” (formal) and “not either” (informal) to agree with a negative statement.
They mean “also not.”

 Examples:

  1. “I’m not hungry.” → “Neither am I.” / “Nor am I.” / “I’m not either.”
  2. “He can’t swim.” → “Neither can his brother.” / “His brother can’t either.”
  3. “She hasn’t read that book.” → “Neither have I.” / “I haven’t either.”
  4. “I didn’t get a letter yesterday.” → “Neither did I.” / “I didn’t either.”

Note:

  • “Neither” and “nor” are slightly more formal.
  • “Not either” is more common in everyday conversation.


Exercise 1: Agree with These Statements

Write your own short responses to show agreement.

  1. I love football.
  2. I don’t want anything to drink.
  3. I have finished my homework.
  4. I can’t go to town today.
  5. I haven’t seen her for a week.
  6. I hate being ill.
  7. I did well in the test.
  8. I don’t like having a cold.
  9. I have never been overseas.
  10. I am good at mathematics.

 Example:
“I love football.” → “So do I.”
“I don’t want anything to drink.” → “Neither do I.”

 

DISAGREEING WITH STATEMENTS

When you disagree, you express an opposite opinion or a different experience.
It’s important to disagree politely, especially in conversation.

Examples:

  1. “I’m hungry.” → “I’m not. I’ve just eaten.”
  2. “I’m not tired.” → “I am. I’m exhausted.”
  3. “I’ve read that book.” → “I haven’t, but I’d like to.”
  4. “I haven’t done my homework yet.” → “I have. I did it at school.”
  5. “I got paid for helping in the shop.” → “I didn’t. That’s not fair!”
  6. “I didn’t get any pocket money this week.” → “I did. I got 500 RWF.”
  7. “I can swim well.” → “I can’t. I’m not very good at swimming.”
  8. “I can’t play a musical instrument.” → “I can. I can play the guitar.”

Exercise 1.2: Disagree with These Statements

Write sentences that disagree with the following statements.

  1. I love reading newspapers.
  2. I’m so thirsty.
  3. I haven’t seen that film yet.
  4. I didn’t sleep well last night.
  5. I saw an accident.

 Example:
“I love reading newspapers.” → “I don’t. I find them boring.”
“I’m so thirsty.” → “I’m not. I just had a drink.”

 

 Polite Ways to Disagree

When speaking formally or politely, it’s good to soften disagreement with phrases like:

  • “I see your point, but…”
  • “I’m afraid I don’t agree.”
  • “That’s true, but I think…”
  • “I’m not sure about that.”
  • “You may be right, but in my opinion…”

 

 Conclusion, agreeing and disagreeing are key parts of conversation in English.

  • Use so/neither/nor for agreement.
  • Use short, clear replies for disagreement.
  • Stay polite and respectful when giving your opinion.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Proverbs

Similes in real life

FROM HOT TO COLD — UNDERSTANDING OPPOSITES IN EVERYDAY ENGLISH